Monday, August 9, 2010

The consequences of too much TV...

Well, time to turn the first sod on this here virgin blog site, and what better way to do it than with a bit of humour eh?

I've spent some time today perusing the interwebs for some new blogs to follow, and so was looking through a blog on psychology/neurology, when I came across the following article:
Does TV watching really kill you?

The article talks about some of the findings of a study done by David Dunstan. The article, I felt, is well written, but the point of humour came when Dave points out some of the media reports on the study...
Take a look at http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2010-01/aha-stt010710.php

Now tell me, did you read anything there that seemed a bit bizarre?


Let me recap:


"Australian researchers tracked the lifestyle habits of 8,800 adults and found that each hour spent in front of the television daily was associated with:
  • an 11 percent increased risk of death from all causes,"


So, what I get out of this study is that watching an extra hour of TV daily increases my chance of death via being
- devoured by velociraptors
- eating too many crispy-creams
- subjected to the singing of Justin Bieber
- eaten by Marilyn Manson
- dumped in a bucket of monkeys

... by a WHOPPING 11%

And if that's not enough to put you off TV watching, I don't know what is!


http://xkcd.com/135/ : Because you better get your Maths right... ;)


May I also protest - I can't believe "velociraptor" is not in Chrome's spellchecker - I mean, COME ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment